The legendary Espresso Martini is a famous Kahlua cocktail and a premium drink. In 1983, it was created by the late barista Bradsell in response to a strange request from a British top model in his London nightclub.
As a self-confessed coffee junkie, this is without a doubt one of my favorite cocktails. If I need a pick-me-up during a social event, I order it. I get it at fancy places to go with desserts.
If you enjoy coffee, go all out with Tiramisu, the world’s favorite coffee-flavored Italian pastry.
The Espresso Martini is a beverage with a history, a heritage, and a tale to tell!
The espresso is complimented by coffee liqueur, typically Kahlua, which provides a deep infusion of coffee flavor to the beverage.
Shake it all together to make a caffeinated drink that is pleasantly well-balanced.
- Ice Cubes
- 100 ml Absolut Vodka
- 40 ml Kahlua Liqueur or Tia Maria (coffee liqueur)
- 60 ml Espresso
- 4 Whole Coffee Beans
- 2 tbs of Sugar (optional)
Steps to Make Espresso Martini
Collect all the Ingredients.
Combine the vodka, with a big cup of ice, and your coffee liqueur (preferably Kahlua).
Pour the freshly brewed espresso in a sealed glass jar or cocktail shaker and add the preferable amount of sugar that you want so it can melt first, while whisking with a spoon.
To achieve the gorgeous trademark frothy coating on the surface of your Espresso Martini, choose authentic espresso coffee from a decent coffee maker that produces a great crema (the silky layer of foam on the espresso).
Key TIP! If you’re not using a coffee machine, simply add one egg white. It has no effect on the flavor or mouthfeel of the cocktail, but when you shake it up, you’ll get a fantastic foam on the surface. The froth is required for the coffee beans to float on the top.
Shake continuously for 30 seconds, or till completely cold, before straining into glasses.
If desired, top each with 3-4 coffee beans.
Serve in tall glass for the best design!
Is Tia Maria the same as Kahlua?
Both coffee liqueurs are fairly sweet, with a robust coffee flavor and a faint vanilla undertone.
Kahlua is heavier and sweeter, similar to a light syrup texture, in my opinion, whereas Tia Mara is softer and smoother, with a deeper taste of vanilla.
Do Espresso Martinis Keep you up at Night?
Is there caffeine in the Espresso Martini? Yes, it does have genuine coffee in it, even so. Don’t worry, an Espresso Martini won’t keep you up all night — you may have one before or after supper, or both!
You can download the recipe below:
This coffee cocktail, mixed with espresso, vodka, and Kahlua liqueur, is deliciously drinkable with a decent dose of alcohol for 2 people. It will take you only 5 mins and it’s super delicious and sweet.
This will both wake you up and get you in the mood to party!
Espresso Martini Recipe
- Coffee Maker or Moka Pot
- Cocktail shaker or sealed glass jar
- A Spoon
- Ice Cubes
- 100 mL Absolut Vodka
- 40 mL Kahlua Liqueur or Tia Maria (coffee liqueur)
- 60 mL Espresso
- 4 Whole Coffee Beans
- 2 tbsp Sugar (optional)
- Collect all the Ingredients
- Combine the vodka, With a handful of ice, coffee liqueur
- Pour the freshly brewed espresso in a sealed glass jar or cocktail shaker and add the preferable amount of sugar that you want so it can melt first, while whisking with a spoon
- Shake continuously for 30 seconds, or till completely cold, before straining into glasses
- If desired, top each with 3-4 coffee beans
- Serve in tall glass for the best design!
- Prepare the espresso coffee ahead of time and set it aside to cool. This will lessen dilution and making your drink cooler and richer!
- When shaking, try to shake the drink up, not tilt it. This will also boost the foamy bubbles on top of your finished drink.
- When straining, be sure to drain the drink from the shaker quickly and swiftly. That will aid in getting that lovely foam.
- Is there no coffee machine? Use a trick! Shake in 1/2 egg white to make a beautiful foam coating, but you won't even be able to taste it!